Limestone County Jail
The Limestone County Jail is located in Athens, Alabama and is operated by the Limestone County Sheriff's Department. This facility holds adult male and female inmates who have been arrested by local county or municipal law enforcement, and is the primary detention center for all law enforcement agencies in Limestone County.
Inmates are incarcerated for crimes ranging from a violation to misdemeanors to felonies. The Limestone County Jail houses:
- Persons who have been charged with a crime and are awaiting trial
- Those who have been arrested on warrants
- Those who have been sentenced to the county jail for one year or less for a misdemeanor crime
- Those who've been placed on hold by Alabama Probation and Parole
- Inmates sentenced by municipal courts in the county
- People who have been placed in the jail "on hold" by other agencies, and
- Inmates who are waiting to be transferred to their assigned Alabama Department of Corrections facility
To check a current inmate roster, click here.
Bonding someone out of the Limestone County Jail
Please call the jail to find out which bond options are available for your inmate. The bond amounts and types are based on the crime your inmate is being charged with. ALL bonds -- cash, property, and bail bondsman -- require a $35.00 bond-filing fee in the form of a money order.
- Cash Bond
Pay the total amount of the bond at the clerk’s office, inside the courthouse and then bring a copy of the receipt to the jail.
- Property Bond
Obtain a property assessment printout from the Revenue Commissioners office, inside the courthouse. Bring the property assessment printout to the jail for review. Property must be valued at the total amount of the bond or greater than the total amount of the bond. All people listed on the property assessment must be present to sign the bond. If necessary, more than one property assessment can be used to make a bond and the property values will be added together.
- Bail Bondsman
The bonding company must be licensed in Limestone County.
Limestone County Jail
Thank you for visiting us to better understand how inmates are treated while incarcerated at this institution. Please be sure to share this website with others so that we can spread the word and help to maintain rights for current and former inmates.
Please note that by checking the box below, you understand we will be contacting you via email to better understand how we can help you and where our data will be used.
After confirming by checking the box below and inputting your email address, please press "submit" and then click on "View Insights" for the area you'd like to reveal.
What Do Inmate Families Think?
What Do Former Inmates Think?
What Do Employees Think?
Visiting Hours and Rules
The Limestone County Jail offers video visitation both on-site and at-home. Follow these quick and easy steps before your visit.
- Register Online – Before you can schedule your visit online, you must first register to create an account. You can register online or at the kiosk located in the lobby of the detention facility.
- Access the internet -To register online, visit inmatesales.com or call customer service at 866-340-7879
- Complete the online form– Fill out the required information including a valid email address.
- Save your visitor ID and password – Keep your visitor ID and password secure and accessible when you need it. Online scheduling won’t work without your visitor ID and password.
Limestone County Jail
101 West Elm Street
Athens, AL 35611
Driving Directions: https://goo.gl/maps/PHhf7H8m2AfuoVuJ6
General Phone Number
Inmate Mailing Address(es)
Limestone County Detention Center
Inmate Full Name
PO Box 889
Athens, AL 35614
How to Call an Inmate
You can't call an inmate who is housed at the Limestone County Jail, but they do have access to phones in their cell blocks. Go to InmateSales.com to set up a phone account. In addition to phone calls, you can send text messages to your inmate, or you can pay for entertainment and education services available on their tablet.
How to Send Money
During the booking process at Limestone County Jail, a commissary account is set up for each inmate. If the inmate has money in their possession during the booking process, the money will be taken and placed into their inmate commissary account.
Visit inmatesales.com or call the facility directly for information about adding money to an inmate's books.
Programs For Inmates
The Limestone County Jail has on-site medical services for inmates. Law libraries and adult educational services are available.
Pictures of Limestone County Jail
Careers at Limestone County Jail
If you are interested in a career with the Sheriff's Department and would like more information about the job openings at the Limestone County Jail, click here.