Montgomery State Prison
Montgomery State Prison is a medium-security facility for adult male inmates located in Mr. Vernon, Georgia. It has the capacity to house 900 inmates, and it was opened in 1976. The facility went through a renovation in 1996.
The mission of Montgomery State Prison is to ensure public safety and effectively house offenders while operating a safe and secure facility. They house medium-security and below general population offenders to support Correctional Industries and outside details.
The housing consists of six dormitories in the main building, all with 64 beds each. There are eight isolation, eight two-man segregation cells, and a fire department with ten beds. This facility also houses a Fire Station and an Egg Producing Plant.
Montgomery State Prison
Thank you for visiting us to better understand how inmates are treated while incarcerated at this institution. Please be sure to share this website with others so that we can spread the word and help to maintain rights for current and former inmates.
Please note that by checking the box below, you understand we will be contacting you via email to better understand how we can help you and where our data will be used.
After confirming by checking the box below and inputting your email address, please press "submit" and then click on "View Insights" for the area you'd like to reveal.
What Do Inmate Families Think?
What Do Former Inmates Think?
What Do Employees Think?
Visiting Hours and Rules
The visiting hours at Montgomery State Prison are on Saturdays, Sundays, and state holidays from 9:00 AM until 3:00 PM.
The only items you can bring to a visit are:
- an identification card (All visitors, age 16 and over, must have a photo ID)
- car keys
- a maximum of twenty dollars ($20.00) in coins to be used for the vending machines
Food and beverages from the outside aren’t allowed in the visiting room at Montgomery State Prisonㄧother than bottled formula or store-bought products for babies. Electronic devices are not allowed in the visiting area.
All visitors are searched by electronic surveillance instruments (metal detectors, etc.) when they arrive. Anything you bring into the facility will be searched by officers assigned to the visitation area.
Visitors must wear appropriate clothing, and shoes are required at all timesㄧincluding children if they are able to walk or stand.
Male visitors are required to wear shirts and full-length trousers. Females may wear trousers, or if a female visitor wears a dress, skirt, or other similar garment, it may NOT be more than two (2) inches above the knees. Furthermore, all female visitors must wear undergarments such as bras, panties, and slips.
Inappropriate clothing includes, but is not limited to:
- Dresses or tops with thin straps which expose shoulders or chest area in any manner
- Tube tops or halters of any type
- Any type of clothing which reveals the stomach or midriff area
- Any type of clothing that is made of sheer or transparent material
- Shorts of any kind or any kind of slacks that are above the knee (twelve years old and under may wear shorts)
- Male visitors are not permitted to wear tank tops or short tops of any kind, nor see-through tops made of net or mesh webbing.
- Shorts are not permitted (children twelve 12 years old and under may wear shorts)
- Any other type of clothing that is suggestive or revealing in any way is prohibited
Montgomery State Prison offers video visits through JPay. You must have a JPay account, and the video visit can last up to 30 minutes. The fee for a 30-minute video visit is $3.95.
Montgomery State Prison
650 Mt. Vernon/Alston Road
Mount Vernon, GA 30445
Driving Directions: https://goo.gl/maps/Mhcgv7ntif1oNYFh8
General Phone Number
Inmate Mailing Address(es)
Inmate Name and ID Number
P.O. Box 256
Mount Vernon, GA 30445
All inmate mail is monitored by prison staff, so keep things simple with regular paper, a regular envelope, and pics of family and friends. They won’t allow any mail with stickers, greeting cards with electronics or music, or inappropriate pics.
In addition to regular mail, you can send a package to an inmate through the Georgia Inmate Package Program. However, your own homemade packages are not allowed.
You can also send and receive videograms and emails through JPay, which cost between one and three stamps each.
How to Call an Inmate
Inmates at Montgomery State Prison can’t receive calls, but they do have access to phones during approved hours. For complete details on how to call an inmate in Georgia, please click here.
How to Send Money
To send money to an inmate at Montgomery State Prison, you must use JPay or MoneyGram. The fees for this service vary based on which method you use and the amount of money you are sending.
- Online or Mobile App: To send an inmate money with your credit or debit card, visit JPay.com or download the JPay Mobile App that is available at the Apple App Store (for iPhones) and Google Play (for Android phones).
- By phone: Call (800) 574-5729 to talk with a live JPay call center agent and send money with a debit or credit card.
- Mail a money orderㅡmade payable to JPayㅡwith a deposit slip to:
P.O. Box 260010
Hollywood, FL 33026
A money order deposit slip is available here.
If you would like to use cash, visit a MoneyGram location in person and use receive code 6857. MoneyGram locations include all Walmarts and CVS Pharmacies.
Programs For Inmates
- Academic: General Education Diploma, Adult Basic Education, Literacy Remedial
- Counseling: Family Violence, Re-Entry Skill Building, Thinking For A Change, Motivation For Change, Alcoholics Anonymous/Narcotics Anonymous, Moral Reconation Therapy
- Recreation: General Recreation
- Religious Activities: Worship Services, Choir, Bible Study, Religious Music
- Vocational/OJT: Food Preparation, Barber, Farm Worker, Custodial Maintenance, Groundskeeper, Laundry Worker, General Office Clerk, Forklift Operator, Warehouse, Correctional Industries-Upholstery, Auto Mechanic, Auto Detailing, and Small Engine
Revenue details are provided for the Department of Transportation, Montgomery County and the City of Mt. Vernon. The prison also operates an extensive poultry and egg producing plant for the Food and Farm Divisionㄧa fully operational 10 man fire department.
Pictures of Montgomery State Prison
Careers at Montgomery State Prison
Montgomery State Prison is a small facility with a large mission located in the Southeast Region in Mount Vernon, GA. They strive to provide successful skills through education, counseling programs, and organizational structure to offenders that will enable them to transition back into civilian life.
MSP offers various job skills and related opportunities that aid in building exceptional work ethics for both staff and offenders. They are always looking forward to like minded individuals to join the Team Family and help with their part of reducing recidivism by improving rehabilitation.
If you are interested in a job at Montgomery State Prison, click here.