SCI Coal Township
The State Correctional Institution at Coal Township held its official Dedication on April 26, 1993. The construction of SCI Coal Township was part of Pennsylvania Governor Casey's Operation Jump Start Program.
This construction and expansion program was launched in 1990 to address the prison overcrowding problem, to create jobs and stimulate economic growth. SCI Coal Township was one of five institutions constructed and financed through county or municipal authorities and one of five prototypical state prisons dedicated in 1993.
SCI Coal Township features 10 housing units that consist of both cells and dorm-style housing. There is one special needs unit and one therapeutic community unit. The average inmate age at SCI Coal Township is 37.
SCI Coal Township
Thank you for visiting us to better understand how inmates are treated while incarcerated at this institution. Please be sure to share this website with others so that we can spread the word and help to maintain rights for current and former inmates.
Please note that by checking the box below, you understand we will be contacting you via email to better understand how we can help you and where our data will be used.
After confirming by checking the box below and inputting your email address, please press "submit" and then click on "View Insights" for the area you'd like to reveal.
What Do Inmate Families Think?
What Do Former Inmates Think?
What Do Employees Think?
Visiting Hours and Rules
Visiting Days/Times at SCI Coal Township:
Monday | Thursday | Friday | Saturday | Sunday: 8:30 am to 3:30 pm
Tuesday | Wednesday: CLOSED
MAX Number of Visitors per Inmate: 5
Vending Machine: Vending Card (no cash allowed in visiting room)
- Vehicles must be locked while on prison property. Windows must be rolled up/closed.
- NEVER bring any gifts or money for the inmate. This must be done through JPay. Prisons will NOT accept money to be placed on an inmate’s account.
- Cell phones and/or pagers are not permitted inside the SCIs.
- Any kind of device that has the capability of audio and/or video/photography recording and/or cell phone capabilities is NOT permitted.
- No purses, bags, diaper bags, etc.
- Unused visits per week may not be carried over into the following week. It’s a “use them or lose them” rule.
- At most facilities, lockers are available for use. Some lockers may require a deposit ranging from 25 cents to $10. Items not permitted in the visiting room should either be left in your vehicle or placed in the locker. All vehicles and lockers are subject to search.
Video visitation is a free service offered to inmates at SCI Coal Township. The visiting rules for video visitation are generally the same as those for visiting in the facility.
To sign up and schedule a visit, check out the visitation scheduler system.
For complete details, read the Video Visitation Visitors Guide.
SCI Coal Township
1 Kelley Drive
Coal Township, PA 17866-1020
Driving Directions: https://goo.gl/maps/rxqLtGvDqTTyotrT9
General Phone Number
Inmate Mailing Address(es)
SCI Coal Township
Inmate Name, Inmate Number
PO Box 33028
St Petersburg, FL 33733
How to Call an Inmate
Inmates at SCI Coal Township can’t receive incoming phone calls, but they do have access to phones during certain hours. For complete details on how to call an inmate in Pennsylvania, please click here.
How to Send Money
The Department of Corrections (DOC) uses JPay for the processing of ALL MONEY ORDERS sent to inmates in all Pennsylvania correctional institutions AND all online and over-the-phone credit card transactions.
Family and friends must deposit money into an inmate's account through JPay, either online or through lobby kiosks at each individual state prison.
DO NOT send money to any other individual, website, or Email account. Money orders are NOT accepted at any state correctional institutions.
For JPay information, call 800.574.5729
A Deposit Slip MUST be filled out and submitted with EVERY money order. Slips are available at the money order section of the JPay website, visiting rooms and the DOC's website.
DEPOSIT SLIP (pdf)
DEPOSIT SLIP (pdf) (Spanish)
ALL money order deposit slips MUST have the following information CLEARLY TYPED in order for the funds to be posted to the inmate account: Handwritten forms are subject to delay.
• Correct inmate ID #
• Inmate name
• Sender’s name and address
Programs For Inmates
Academic and Vocational Education:
- Academic Education: Learning Support, Adult Basic Education (ABE), GED, Business Education, ESL
- Vocational Education: Building Trades, Heating, Air Conditioning and Refrigeration (HVAC), Barber, Computer-Aided Drafting/Design (CADD), Electrical and Electronics, Upholstery.
- All vocational classes offer industry-recognized certifications specific to the trade skills taught in the program.
- Inside-Out Dads
- Long Term Offenders
- Sex Offender Moderate-High Intensity
- Sex Offender Low Intensity
- Sex Offender Booster Program
- Sex Offender Program on the Special Needs Unit
- Pre-Vocational Skills Class
- MoneySmart Program
- Alcohol and Other Drug (AOD)
- Therapeutic Community
- Parole Violator
- Outpatient Group
- Dual Diagnosis
- AA/NA/SOS Support Meetings
- Thinking for a Change
- Act 143 Victim Awareness
- Violence Prevention Moderate Intensity
- Violence Prevention High intensity
- Batterer’s Intervention
Mental Health Programs
- Medication Compliance Group
- Dual Diagnosis Group
Community Work Program: Inmates in the Community Work Program perform more than 2,000 community service hours every year.
- Painted Churches – interior and exterior
- Painted Gymnasium for the Shamokin Youth Basketball League
- Packed boxes of food items for the Salvation Army's Christmas program
- Painted walls in the Shamokin City Hall
- Maintained the grounds at the Coal Township War Veterans Memorial and Mini Park
- Maintained cemetery plots at various church and community cemeteries
- Helped set up and take down items for various church festivals
- Painted equipment and maintained the grounds at community playgrounds
- Completed litter pick up on many area roadways for Penn DOT's Adopt A Highway program
- Assisted in moving office equipment/records to the new Northumberland County Prison
Pictures of SCI Coal Township
Careers at SCI Coal Township
If you are interested in a career with the Pennsylvania Department of Corrections, you can find out more information about available jobs at SCI Coal Township by clicking here.