SCI Greene is a maximum-security prison for male inmates located in Waynesburg, Pennsylvania. It houses the majority of death row inmates in the state. The current capacity of SCI Greene is approximately 1,760 inmates.
The State Correctional Institution at Greene began negotiations with Greene County Redevelopment Authority on November 15, 1990, to purchase property for a 1,000-bed maximum-security prison.
The 128-acre site, known as the Allison Tract, is located in Franklin Township, Waynesburg, PA. The lease for the institution site was signed by General Services Secretary David L. Jannetta on May 7, 1991. Ground breaking occurred on October 29, 1991, and the institution was dedicated November 9, 1993.
The first inmates arrived on January 3, 1994. The Institution reached its inmate capacity as of May 3, 1995. Construction was completed in March, 1999 on two new housing units within the perimeter. One of these units (K) houses Level 3 inmates; and the second (L) houses the Capital Case inmates. This prison is one of five prototypical state prisons dedicated in 1993 and currently serves as the Western Region Reception Center.
Special Features: Residential Treatment Unit (RTU), Step-Down Unit (SDU), Secure Residential Treatment Unit (SRTU), Diversionary Treatment Unit (DTU), and Security Threat Group Management Unit (STGMU).
Thank you for visiting us to better understand how inmates are treated while incarcerated at this institution. Please be sure to share this website with others so that we can spread the word and help to maintain rights for current and former inmates.
Please note that by checking the box below, you understand we will be contacting you via email to better understand how we can help you and where our data will be used.
After confirming by checking the box below and inputting your email address, please press "submit" and then click on "View Insights" for the area you'd like to reveal.
What Do Inmate Families Think?
What Do Former Inmates Think?
What Do Employees Think?
Visiting Hours and Rules
Visiting Days/Times at SCI Greene:
Monday | Tuesday | Wednesday: CLOSED
Thursday | Friday | Saturday | Sunday: 8:30 am to 3:30 pm
MAX Number of Visitors per Inmate: five (excludes children)
Vending Machine: Vending Card (no cash is allowed in the visiting room)
Please allow for no less than a one-hour visit. Visitors should arrive no less than TWO HOURS prior to closing of the visiting room.
- Vehicles must be locked while on prison property. Windows must be rolled up/closed.
- NEVER bring any gifts or money for the inmate. This must be done through JPay. Prisons will NOT accept money to be placed on an inmate’s account.
- No cell phones.
- Any kind of device that has the capability of audio and/or video/photography recording and/or cell phone capabilities is NOT permitted.
- No purses, bags, diaper bags, etc.
- Unused visits per week may not be carried over into the following week. It’s a “use them or lose them” rule.
- At most facilities, lockers are available for use. Some lockers may require a deposit ranging from 25 cents to $10. Items not permitted in the visiting room should either be left in your vehicle or placed in the locker. All vehicles and lockers are subject to search.
Visitors with infants
If you have a baby as a part of your visiting group, you may take these items into the visiting room:
- Up to three UNOPENED, commercially prepared, and vacuum-sealed containers of baby food per infant. All containers will be opened by the inspecting officers.
- Up to three clear plastic bottles of pre-mixed formula/white milk per infant.
- Up to three diapers per infant. Diapers must be loose so they can be inspected.
- Up to three pull-ups or training pants per infant.
- A reasonable number of wipes.
Video visitation is available at SCI Greene. The program uses video conferencing technology to enhance parenting skills; allows an inmate to visit with immediate family members, caregivers of the inmate's children, and other individuals on the inmate's approved visiting list; increases the frequency of visits for an inmate; and permits the scheduling of visits at times that are best for the visitors. Every inmate, regardless of his custody level, is eligible.
169 Progress Drive
Waynesburg, PA 15370
Driving Directions: https://goo.gl/maps/95je9swWVjkD8Nen6
General Phone Number
Inmate Mailing Address(es)
Inmate Name, Inmate Number
PO Box 33028
St Petersburg, FL 33733
How to Call an Inmate
Inmates at SCI Greene can’t receive incoming phone calls, but they do have access to phones during certain hours. For complete details on how to call an inmate in Pennsylvania, please click here.
How to Send Money
The Department of Corrections (DOC) uses JPay to send money to inmates in all Pennsylvania correctional institutions. Family and friends must deposit money into an inmate's account through JPay, either online or through lobby kiosks at each individual state prison.
A Deposit Slip MUST be filled out and submitted with EVERY money order. Slips are available at the money order section of the JPay website, visiting rooms, and the DOC's website.
DEPOSIT SLIP (pdf)
DEPOSIT SLIP (pdf) (Spanish)
Money order deposit slips must have the following information CLEARLY TYPED in order for the funds to be posted to the inmate account: Handwritten forms are subject to delay.
• Correct inmate ID #
• Inmate name
• Sender’s name and address
DO NOT send money to any other individual, website, or Email account. Money orders are NOT accepted at any state correctional institutions.
For JPay information, call 800.574.5729
JPay Frequently Asked Questions Information Sheet (pdf)
Programs For Inmates
Adult Basic Education (GED ), Commonwealth Secondary Diploma (CSD) English as a Second Language (ESL), Individual Cell Study Program, Victim Awareness, Money Smart, Pathways to Success Program, Read to your Child / Grandchild Program, Correspondence Courses as requested.
Vocational Education: Carpentry Trades Program (NCCER), Business Educations (ICDL), Heating, Ventilation, Air Conditioning, and Refrigeration (NCCER), OSHA Certification, and FLAGGER Certification.
All vocational classes offer industry-recognized certifications specific to the trade skills taught in the program.
- Read to your Child/Grandchild Program
- Inside Out Dads (parenting)
- Sex Offender Moderate-High Intensity
- Sex Offender Low Intensity
- Sex Offender Booster Program
RSO (Re-Entry Service Office):
- Career Pathways
- Money Smart Program
- Building Trades
- Business Education
- Barber School
- In-Cell Study Program
Alcohol and Other Drug (AOD):
- Therapeutic Community
- Outpatient Therapy Group
- Dual Diagnosis
- AA/NA Support Meetings
- Thinking for a Change
- Act 143 - Victim Awareness
- Violence Prevention
- Batterer's Intervention
Mental Health Programs:
- MH Education
- MH Management
- MH Peer Group
- MH Community Re-Entry Group
- Dual Diagnosis Group
- Violence Prevention High
- Making Informed Decisions About Change
- Violence Prevention
- Thinking for a Change
Correctional Industries operates a garment factory that employs three staff members and 60 inmates. The factory produces the following items: denim blue jeans, denim release coats, sweat shirts, sweat pants, sweat shorts jumpsuits, and laundry bags for use at State Institutions. Correctional Industries also produces all staff hats including Garrison hats.
Community Work Program:
The Community Work Program provided a total of 5,680 hours of community work in 2019 for an estimated savings to the community of $142,000.
- Provided maintenance services & painting to churches
- Provided maintenance services & painting to Volunteer Fire Departments
- Refurbished local Police Department
- Litter pick up throughout county in cooperation with PENN DOT (8 months/year)
- Provide maintenance services to both public and non-profit schools - Greene & Fayette Counties
- Set up items for Washington County Fairgrounds
- Assisted numerous non-profit agencies in Greene, Washington and Fayette Counties with various projects and events
Pictures of SCI Greene
Careers at SCI Greene
If you are interested in a career with the Pennsylvania Department of Corrections, you can find out more information about available jobs at SCI Greene by clicking here.