The State Correctional Institution at Houtzdale is a medium-security prison located in Houtzdale, Pennsylvania that houses approximately 2,550 adult male inmates.
Groundbreaking for the facility occurred on March 20, 1994, as part of an administrative initiative to increase cell space and to ease overcrowding in state prisons. Construction was completed December 1995 and the official dedication of SCI Houtzdale was held January 5, 1996.
Construction of two additional housing units began August 8, 1997, and was completed in October 1998. Construction of a 150-bed modular housing unit began in August 2010. This housing unit consists of two dormitory style housing units with a dayroom in the center. The unit was opened in August 2011.
Thank you for visiting us to better understand how inmates are treated while incarcerated at this institution. Please be sure to share this website with others so that we can spread the word and help to maintain rights for current and former inmates.
Please note that by checking the box below, you understand we will be contacting you via email to better understand how we can help you and where our data will be used.
After confirming by checking the box below and inputting your email address, please press "submit" and then click on "View Insights" for the area you'd like to reveal.
What Do Inmate Families Think?
What Do Former Inmates Think?
What Do Employees Think?
Visiting Hours and Rules
Visiting Days/Times at SCI Houtzdale:
Monday | Thursday | Friday | Saturday | Sunday: 9 am to 3:45 pm
Tuesday | Wednesday: CLOSED
NOTE: Visitors must arrive by 2:45 pm to visit
MAX Number of Visitors per Inmate: five (includes children)
Vending Machine: Vending Card
- Vehicles must be locked while on prison property. Windows must be rolled up/closed.
- NEVER bring any gifts or money for the inmate. This must be done through JPay. Prisons will NOT accept money to be placed on an inmate’s account.
- Cell phones and/or pagers are not permitted inside the SCIs.
- Any kind of device that has the capability of audio and/or video/photography recording and/or cell phone capabilities is NOT permitted.
- No purses, bags, diaper bags, etc.
- Unused visits per week may not be carried over into the following week. It’s a, “use them or lose them,” rule.
- At most facilities, lockers are available for use. Some lockers may require a deposit ranging from 25 cents to $10. Items not permitted in the visiting room should either be left in your vehicle or placed in the locker. All vehicles and lockers are subject to search.
Virtual visitation is available at SCI Houtzdale. This is a free service being offered to inmates and authorized visitors, and all inmates are eligible to participate. The visiting rules for Video Visitation are generally the same as those for visiting in the facility.
To sign up and schedule a visit, check out the visitation scheduler system.
For complete details, read the Video Visitation Visitors Guide.
209 Institution Drive
Houtzdale, PA 16698-1000
Driving Directions: https://goo.gl/maps/B8MjrYB3dWFzxaPz6
General Phone Number
Inmate Mailing Address(es)
Inmate Name, Inmate Number
PO Box 33028
St Petersburg, FL 33733
How to Call an Inmate
nmates at SCI Houtzdale can’t receive incoming phone calls, but they do have access to phones during certain hours. For complete details on how to call an inmate in Pennsylvania, please click here.
How to Send Money
The Department of Corrections (DOC) uses JPay to send money to inmates in all Pennsylvania correctional institutions. Family and friends must deposit money into an inmate's account through JPay, either online or through lobby kiosks at each individual state prison.
DO NOT send money to any other individual, website, or Email account. Money orders are NOT accepted at any state correctional institutions.
For JPay information, call 800.574.5729
A Deposit Slip MUST be filled out and submitted with EVERY money order. Slips are available at the money order section of the JPay website, visiting rooms and the DOC's website.
DEPOSIT SLIP (pdf)
DEPOSIT SLIP (pdf) (Spanish)
Money order deposit slips MUST have the following information CLEARLY TYPED in order for the funds to be posted to the inmate account: Handwritten forms are subject to delay.
• Correct inmate ID #
• Inmate name
• Sender’s name and address
Programs For Inmates
Academic and Vocational Education:
- Adult Basic Education
- General Equivalency Diploma
- Special Education
- Barber School
- Building Trades
- Business Education
- Residential/Commercial/Industrial Electrical Maintenance and Repair
- Money Smart
- International Computer Driving License
- Computer Aided Drafting
- Electronics/Computer Repair
- Custodial Maintenance and Repair
- Warehouse Operations/Material Handling
- Certification Programs: Barbershop, Building Trades, Business Education, Computer Aided Drafting, Custodial Maintenance, Electricity, Electronics and Warehouse Operations.
- Courage to Change Therapeutic Community
- Outpatient Treatment
- Low Intensity Outpatient
- Parole Violator Group
- Dual Diagnosis Group
- Special Needs Unit Addictions Issues
- Self Help Groups
- Sex Offender Program Therapeutic Community
- Cognitive Behavioral Theory Groups
In October 2006, SCI Houtzdale opened a Commissary Distribution Operation. The operation is managed by Pennsylvania Correctional Industries (PCI). The Commissary Distribution Operation at SCI Houtzdale processes and distributes inmate commissary orders for nine State Correctional Institutions. The operation employs an AM and PM shift for a total of 90 inmates at full production.
Pictures of SCI Houtzdale
Careers at SCI Houtzdale
If you are interested in a career with the Pennsylvania Department of Corrections, you can find out more information about available jobs at SCI Houtzdale by clicking here.