The Darrington Unit is a maximum-security prison for male inmates that is located in Rosharon, Texas. This facility houses inmates of various custody levels. Operated by the Texas Department of Criminal Justice, Darrington Unit is one of the oldest prisons in the state of Texas. It was opened in 1933 and can house a maximum of 1,610 inmates, plus 321 additional inmates at the Trusty Camp.
The Darrington Unit conducts agricultural operations which raise cattle, poultry for egg laying, and grows crops on the facility's 6,770 acres. This unit also operates a tire retreading facility.
Thank you for visiting us to better understand how inmates are treated while incarcerated at this institution. Please be sure to share this website with others so that we can spread the word and help to maintain rights for current and former inmates.
Please note that by checking the box below, you understand we will be contacting you via email to better understand how we can help you and where our data will be used.
After confirming by checking the box below and inputting your email address, please press "submit" and then click on "View Insights" for the area you'd like to reveal.
What Do Inmate Families Think?
What Do Former Inmates Think?
What Do Employees Think?
Visiting Hours and Rules
The visiting hours at the Darrington Unit are on Saturdays and Sundays from 7:00 am to 5:00 pm. Each inmate at Darrington Unit is allowed one visit per weekend. A maximum of two (2) adults, ages 18 and older, are allowed per visit. Children ages 17 and younger may visit without being counted in the visitor number.
Please call the Ombudsman Visitation Hotline at (936) 437-4927 or toll free at (844) 476-1289 if you have questions. The hotline is open Saturdays and Sundays from 8:00 am to 5:00 pm.
All potential visitors must submit a visiting application and get approval from the Texas Department of Criminal Justice before visiting their inmate at Darrington Unit. The visiting application and instructions are below.
- Policy 507.01 - Visitation
- Visitation Form
The Texas Department of Criminal Justice encourages all visitors to dress conservatively. The duty warden makes the final decision on whether clothing is appropriate. If you are not dressed appropriately, you will not be allowed to visit with your inmate.
- Sandals, flip-flops, and open-toe shoes are allowed
- Clothing that is tight fitting, revealing, or made with see-through fabrics is prohibited
- Sleeveless shirts and dresses are allowed, but must cover the shoulders
- Shorts and skirts no shorter than three inches above the middle of the knee while standing, capri pants, or long pants are allowed
- Length is not restricted for pre-adolescent boys and girls, generally ages 10 and younger
- Clothing with pictures or language that may be considered profane or offensive by current public standards is prohibited
For a complete list of the visiting rules, click here.
What can you bring to a visit?
Items allowed inside the visiting room are:
- A small wallet, clear plastic bag, or change purse
- $25 cash (in coins) for the vending machines
- Visitors with infants or small children may bring no more than three diapers, a supply of baby wipes, and two baby bottles (“sippy” cup for toddlers). These items must be stored in a clear plastic bag.
59 Darrington Road
Rosharon, TX 77583
Driving Directions: https://goo.gl/maps/3r5FTMnFkzMkKx1W8
General Phone Number
(281) 595-3465 (**007)
Inmate Mailing Address(es)
Inmate Name/DOC Number
59 Darrington Road
Rosharon, TX 77583
eMessagesInmates can receive incoming eMessages through JPAY. You can register at www.jpay.com. Each eMessage costs approximately the price of one stamp.
How to Call an Inmate
You can't call an inmate at Darrington Unit, but they do have access to phones during certain hours. For complete details on how to call an inmate in Texas, please click here.
How to Send Money
The most popular ways to send money to an inmate at Darrington Unit are:
Click here and enter offender number, name and confirm offender. Add deposit amount to your cart and checkout using a Visa, MasterCard, or Discover card for a service fee.
JPAY allows you to send money to an offender for a service fee. Visit their website at www.jpay.com or call 1.800.574.5729 to send funds using Visa or MasterCard credit/debit card. Senders can make cash deposits at any MoneyGram location nationwide using an Express Payment form and using RECEIVE CODE 3570.
ACCESS CORRECTIONS – SECURE DEPOSITS Choose the most convenient way to send money to your loved one at TDCJ Facilities for a service fee.
1. Visit www.AccessCorrections.com
2. Telephone (toll-free): 1.866.345.1884 for live bilingual agents available 24/7
3. Cash Walk-In at most stores available from 8am to 9pm, some 24/7
4. Visit www.CashPayToday.com or call 1.844.340.2274 to enroll, find locations, or get your barcode for Dollar GeneralDeposits
5. Send money with Debit Card or Cash at Dollar General; new barcode system required
MONEY ORDERS or CASHIER’S CHECKS made payable to “Inmate Trust Fund for Offender Name and Number”
- You may obtain deposit slips from offender or send a self-addressed, stamped envelope to: Inmate Trust Fund, PO Box 60, Huntsville, TX 77342-0060
- Send deposit and completed deposit slip to Inmate Trust Fund, PO Box 60, Huntsville, TX 77342-0060
Programs For Inmates
Educational Programs: Literacy (Adult Basic Education/GED), Special Education, CHANGES/Pre-Release, Cognitive Intervention
Career and Technology Programs: Heating, Ventilation, Air Conditioning and Refrigeration; Automotive Specialization (Air Conditioning)
Additional Programs/Services: Southwestern Baptist Theological Seminary Program, Faith Based Dormitory, Adult Education Program (upon availability), Peer Education, Reentry Planning, Chaplaincy Services, Community Tours, GO KIDS Initiative
Community Work Projects: Services provided to city and county agencies, the area food bank, Habitat for Humanity, and Texas Parks and Wildlife.Volunteer Initiatives: Substance Abuse Education, Life Skills, Support Groups, Religious/Faith Based Studies and Activities
Pictures of Darrington Unit
Careers at Darrington Unit
If you are interested in a career with the Texas Department of Criminal Justice and would like more information about available jobs at Darrington Unit, click here.