The Eastham Unit is a state prison for male inmates that is located in Lovelady, Texas. This facility is managed by the Texas Department of Criminal Justice and can house a maximum of 2,153 inmates. The custody levels housed at this facility are G1-G4, Administrative Segregation, Outside Trusty, and Transient. One of the oldest prisons in Texas, this facility opened in April 1917.
Eastham Unit sits on nearly 13,000 acres and has agricultural operations that include Cow/Calf and Heifer Development Operations, Egg Laying Operation, Farm Shop, Feedmill and Grain Storage, Edible and Field Crops, Security Horses, Security Pack Canines, and Swine Farrowing/Nursery/Finishing Operations.
There is also a Garment Factory on the prison grounds that employs inmates.
Robert Perkinson, author of Texas Tough: The Rise of America's Prison Empire, said that while the TDCJ and other agencies operate many types of prisons and jails in Texas, "if any unit stands for the rest," it would be Eastham.
One notable former inmate at Eastham Unit was Clyde Barrow, of Bonnie & Clyde fame.
Thank you for visiting us to better understand how inmates are treated while incarcerated at this institution. Please be sure to share this website with others so that we can spread the word and help to maintain rights for current and former inmates.
Please note that by checking the box below, you understand we will be contacting you via email to better understand how we can help you and where our data will be used.
After confirming by checking the box below and inputting your email address, please press "submit" and then click on "View Insights" for the area you'd like to reveal.
What Do Inmate Families Think?
What Do Former Inmates Think?
What Do Employees Think?
Visiting Hours and Rules
The visiting hours at the Eastham Unit are on Saturdays and Sundays from 8:00 am to 5:00 pm. Each inmate may have one visit per weekend with a maximum of two (2) adults, ages 18 and older, allowed per visit. Children ages 17 and younger may visit without being counted in the visitor number.
Please call the Ombudsman Visitation Hotline at (936) 437-4927 or toll free at (844) 476-1289 if you have questions. The hotline is open Saturdays and Sundays from 8:00 am to 5:00 pm.
Before you can visit an inmate at Eastham Unit, you must submit a visiting application and get approval from the Texas Department of Criminal Justice. The visiting application and instructions are below.
- Policy 507.01 - Visitation
- Visitation Form
The Eastham Unit encourages all visitors to dress conservatively. If you are not dressed appropriately, you will not be allowed to visit with your inmate. The duty warden makes the final decision on whether or not clothing is appropriate.
- Sandals, flip-flops, and open-toe shoes are allowed
- Clothing that is tight fitting, revealing, or made with see-through fabrics is prohibited
- Sleeveless shirts and dresses are allowed, but must cover the shoulders
- Shorts and skirts no shorter than three inches above the middle of the knee while standing, capri pants, or long pants are allowed
- Length is not restricted for pre-adolescent boys and girls, generally ages 10 and younger
- Clothing with pictures or language that may be considered profane or offensive by current public standards is prohibited
For a complete list of the visiting rules, click here.
What can you bring to a visit?
Items allowed inside the visiting room are:
- A small wallet, clear plastic bag, or change purse
- $25 cash (in coins) for the vending machines
- Visitors with infants or small children may bring no more than three diapers, a supply of baby wipes, and two baby bottles (“sippy” cup for toddlers). These items must be stored in a clear plastic bag.
Visitor Identification: For visitors 18 years of age and older, a pictured government identification (ID) is required.
2665 Prison Road #1
Lovelady, TX 75851
Driving Directions: https://goo.gl/maps/R9Vnd5xP6vaTHbM6A
General Phone Number
(936) 636-7321 (**009)
Inmate Mailing Address(es)
Inmate Name/DOC Number
2665 Prison Road #1
Lovelady, TX 75851
Offenders can receive incoming eMessages. To register, please contact JPAY at 1-866-333- 5729 or www.jpay.com on the web. Only incoming mail is available. The offender is not allowed to return the eMessage. Friends and family members must purchase electronic stamps on-line from www.jpay.com (the price of a US postage stamp).
TDCJ unit mailroom staff download and review incoming messages, and upon approval, the messages are printed and delivered to the offender.
How to Call an Inmate
You can't call an inmate at Eastham Unit, but they do have access to phones during certain hours. For complete details on how to call an inmate in Texas, please click here.
How to Send Money
The most popular ways to send money to an inmate at Eastham Unit are:
Click here and enter offender number, name and confirm offender. Add deposit amount to your cart and checkout using a Visa, MasterCard, or Discover card for a service fee.
MONEY ORDERS or CASHIER’S CHECKS made payable to “Inmate Trust Fund for Offender Name and Number”
- You may obtain deposit slips from offender or send a self-addressed, stamped envelope to: Inmate Trust Fund, PO Box 60, Huntsville, TX 77342-0060
- Send deposit and completed deposit slip to Inmate Trust Fund, PO Box 60, Huntsville, TX 77342-0060
JPAY allows you to send money to an offender for a service fee. Visit their website at www.jpay.com or call 1.800.574.5729 to send funds using Visa or MasterCard credit/debit card. Senders can make cash deposits at any MoneyGram location nationwide using an Express Payment form and using RECEIVE CODE 3570.
ACCESS CORRECTIONS – SECURE DEPOSITS Choose the most convenient way to send money to your loved one at TDCJ Facilities for a service fee.
1. Visit www.AccessCorrections.com
2. Telephone (toll-free): 1.866.345.1884 for live bilingual agents available 24/7
3. Cash Walk-In at most stores available from 8am to 9pm, some 24/7
4. Visit www.CashPayToday.com or call 1.844.340.2274 to enroll, find locations, or get your barcode for Dollar GeneralDeposits
5. Send money with Debit Card or Cash at Dollar General; new barcode system required
Programs For Inmates
Educational Programs: Literacy (Adult Basic Education/GED), CHANGES/Pre-Release, Cognitive Intervention
Career and Technology Programs: Automotive Specialization (Engine Performance); Painting and Decorating
Lee College Academic
Lee College Vocational: Food Service Preparation; Advanced Food Service Preparation
Additional Programs/Services: Faith Based Dormitory, Adult Education Program (upon availability), Peer Education, Reentry Planning, Chaplaincy Services, Crime Stoppers, GO KIDS Initiative
Community Work Projects: Services provided to city agencies and local school districts.Volunteer Initiatives: Literacy/Education, Employment/Job Skills, Substance Abuse Education, Life Skills, Parent Training, Support Groups, Mentoring, Religious/Faith Based Studies and Activities, Post-Release Housing
Pictures of Eastham Unit
Careers at Eastham Unit
If you are interested in a career with the Texas Department of Criminal Justice and would like more information about available jobs at Eastham Unit, click here.