French Robertson Unit
The French Robertson Unit is a maximum-security prison for male inmates that is located in Abilene, Texas. This unit is operated by the Texas Department of Criminal Justice and can house a maximum of 2,984 inmates.
This facility sits on approximately 400 acres and participates in the Unit Food Bank Garden Program. There is also a Garment Factory on site that employs inmates.
French Robertson Unit
Thank you for visiting us to better understand how inmates are treated while incarcerated at this institution. Please be sure to share this website with others so that we can spread the word and help to maintain rights for current and former inmates.
Please note that by checking the box below, you understand we will be contacting you via email to better understand how we can help you and where our data will be used.
After confirming by checking the box below and inputting your email address, please press "submit" and then click on "View Insights" for the area you'd like to reveal.
What Do Inmate Families Think?
What Do Former Inmates Think?
What Do Employees Think?
Visiting Hours and Rules
The visiting hours for general population inmates at Robertson Unit are on Saturdays and Sundays from 8:00 am to 5:00 pm.
Visiting periods usually last for about two hours, and each inmate is allowed one visit per weekend. Contact visits are allowed if the visitors are immediate family. Two adults (18+) are allowed to visit an inmate at one time. Minor children are not counted in the visiting number.
If you have any questions, call the Ombudsman Visitation Hotline at (936) 437-4927 or toll free at (844) 476-1289. The hotline is open from 8:00 am to 5:00 pm on Saturdays and Sundays.
You must fill out an application and get approval from the Texas Department of Criminal Justice before you can visit an inmate at Robertson Unit. Click on the visiting application and instructions below to get started.
- Policy 507.01 - Visitation
- Visitation Form
Before you travel to Robertson Unit
- Confirm that the inmate you are visiting is assigned to Robertson Unit and has visitation privileges. Offender Information Search
- Confirm the unit visitation schedule and verify that visitation has not been cancelled. An eligible offender cannot receive visitors if visitation has been cancelled. Unit wide visitation cancelations are posted on the TDCJ homepage.
- Verify you are an approved visitor. If you are unsure, you may call Robertson Unit for verification.
- Bring photo identification (ID). Click here for a list of appropriate photo identification.
- Check clothing for compliance. (see dress code below)
- Make sure you are not bringing prohibited items on the unit. Vehicles and visitors are subject to search by unit staff. Click here for items allowed and not allowed.
- Do not bring cash (except coins, not more than $25).
- No cell phones inside the secure perimeter.
- Special visits or visits requiring special accommodations should be arranged prior to the visit. If you have made special arrangements with the unit, call prior to leaving to ensure that plans for your visit have been made and are in place. Click here for examples of special visits and special accommodations.
- Spiritual visits must be coordinated through the warden’s office.
What can you bring to a visit?
When checking in for a visit, you will need to provide the officer at the unit security checkpoint the following information:
- Your inmate's name and TDCJ number
- Your relationship to the offender
- Your current physical address and phone number
All adult visitors must have a valid photo ID. Keep everything in your vehicle except your ID and $25 cash (in coins) for the vending machines. You are allowed to carry the coins in a small wallet, clear plastic bag, or change purse.
Visitors with infants or small children may bring no more than three diapers, baby wipes, and two baby bottles (“sippy” cup for toddlers). These items must be stored in a clear plastic bag.
Visitors are not allowed to engage in the following activities while on TDCJ property:
- Loitering around the unit’s front gate, parking lot, or perimeter pickets
- Walking along the perimeter road
- Photographing buildings, fences, or other parts of the unit
- Playing radios loudly
- Yelling at offenders
For a complete list of the visiting rules, click here.
The dress code at Robertson Unit is strictly enforced. Your visit will be denied if you are not dressed appropriately.
- Clothing that is tight fitting, revealing, or made with see-through fabrics is prohibited.
- Clothing with pictures or language that may be considered profane or offensive is not allowed.
- Shorts, skirts no shorter than three (3) inches above the middle of the knee while standing, capri pants, or long pants are allowed. Length is not restricted for children ages 10 and younger.
- Sandals, flip-flops, and open-toe shoes are allowed.
- Sleeveless shirts and dresses are allowed, but must cover the shoulders.
12071 FM 3522
Abilene, TX 79601
Driving Directions: https://goo.gl/maps/smjXbkm5i1XNy1m98
General Phone Number
(325) 548-9035 (**047)
Inmate Mailing Address(es)
Inmate Name/DOC Number
12071 FM 3522
Abilene, TX 79601
eMessagesInmates at Robertson Unit can receive eMessages through JPAY. To register, please contact JPAY at 1-866-333- 5729 or visit www.jpay.com on the web.
How to Call an Inmate
You can't call an inmate at Robertson Unit, but they do have access to phones during certain hours. For complete details on how to call an inmate in Texas, please click here.
How to Send Money
There are a number of ways to send money to an inmate at Robertson Unit, both online and through snail mail. Remember, you will need their inmate ID number.
JPAY allows you to send money to an offender for a service fee. Visit their website at www.jpay.com or call 1.800.574.5729 to send funds using Visa or MasterCard credit/debit card.
ACCESS CORRECTIONS – SECURE DEPOSITS
1. Visit www.AccessCorrections.com
2. Telephone (toll-free): call 1.866.345.1884 for live bilingual agents available 24/7
This site allows you to send money to an inmate or make purchases for them from the prison commissary. To send money, click here and enter the offender's number, name, and confirm offender. Add a deposit amount to your cart and checkout using a credit or debit card.
Friends and family can also make purchases each quarter for eligible offenders. The maximum spend is $60, with the exception of the 4th quarter. From October through December, the holiday spend limit is $85.
You can choose from the top selling commissary items and purchase them for your inmate instead of sending money. Items include snacks, hygiene products, and correspondence supplies.
MONEY ORDERS or CASHIER’S CHECKS
Must be made payable to “Inmate Trust Fund for Offender Name and Number”
- You may obtain deposit slips by sending a self-addressed, stamped envelope to: Inmate Trust Fund, PO Box 60, Huntsville, TX 77342-0060
- Send deposit and completed deposit slip to Inmate Trust Fund, PO Box 60, Huntsville, TX 77342-0060
Programs For Inmates
Educational Programs: Literacy (Adult Basic Education/GED), CHANGES/Pre-Release, Cognitive Intervention
Career and Technology Programs: Automotive Specialization (Brakes); Heating, Ventilation, Air Conditioning and Refrigeration; Small Engine Repair
Additional Programs/Services: Adult Education Program (upon availability), Life Decisions Program, Peer Education, Reentry Planning, Chaplaincy Services, Community Tours, GO KIDS Initiative
Volunteer Initiatives: Literacy/Education, Substance Abuse Education, Life Skills, Arts/Crafts, Parent Training, Support Groups, Religious/Faith Based Studies and Activities, Storybook Project
Pictures of French Robertson Unit
Careers at French Robertson Unit
If you would like more information about the Texas Department of Criminal Justice and would like to see the job listings at Robertson Unit, click here.