The Skyview Unit is a psychiatric prison facility for male and female inmates that is located in Rusk, Texas. This unit can house a maximum of 562 inmates and is managed by the Texas Department of Criminal Justice. Because Skyview Unit is a psychiatric facility that houses mentally ill inmates, they do not offer educational programs for inmates.
Prison guards assigned to Skyview take special training before they are assigned to this prison. Most prisoners stay for about 20-60 days before returning to their permanent unit, but some stay long-term.
Thank you for visiting us to better understand how inmates are treated while incarcerated at this institution. Please be sure to share this website with others so that we can spread the word and help to maintain rights for current and former inmates.
Please note that by checking the box below, you understand we will be contacting you via email to better understand how we can help you and where our data will be used.
After confirming by checking the box below and inputting your email address, please press "submit" and then click on "View Insights" for the area you'd like to reveal.
What Do Inmate Families Think?
What Do Former Inmates Think?
What Do Employees Think?
Visiting Hours and Rules
The visiting hours for general population inmates at Skyview Unit are on Saturdays and Sundays from 8:00 am to 5:00 pm. Visiting periods usually last for about two hours.
Each offender is only allowed one visit per weekend. No more than two adults (18+) may visit at one time. Minor children are not counted in the visiting number. To the extent possible, individuals on an offender’s Visitors List should coordinate with one another and with the offender to prevent subsequent visitors from being declined when they arrive at the unit.
Before you can visit your inmate at Skyview Unit, you must fill out an application and get approval from the Texas Department of Criminal Justice.
- Policy 507.01 - Visitation
- Visitation Form
Before you travel to Skyview Unit
- Make sure the inmate you are visiting is assigned to Skyview Unit and has visitation privileges. Offender Information Search
- Confirm the unit visitation schedule and verify that visitation has not been cancelled. An eligible offender cannot receive visitors if visitation has been cancelled. Unit wide visitation cancelations are posted on the TDCJ homepage
- Verify you are an approved visitor. If you are unsure, you may call Skyview Unit for verification
- Bring photo identification (ID). Click here for a list of appropriate photo identification.
- Check clothing for compliance. (see below)
- Make sure you are not bringing prohibited items on the unit. Vehicles and visitors are subject to search by unit staff. Click here for items allowed and not allowed.
- Do not bring cash (except coins, not more than $25)
- No cell phones inside the secure perimeter
If you have any questions, call the Ombudsman Visitation Hotline at (936) 437-4927 or toll free at (844) 476-1289. The hotline is open from 8:00 am to 5:00 pm on Saturdays and Sundays.
Visitors are encouraged to dress conservatively.
- Sandals, flip-flops, and open-toe shoes may be worn.
- Clothing that is tight fitting, revealing, or made with see-through fabrics shall not be allowed.
- Sleeveless shirts and dresses are allowed, but must cover the shoulders.
- Shorts and skirts no shorter than three inches above the middle of the knee while standing, capri pants, or long pants are allowed.
- Length is not restricted for pre-adolescent boys and girls, generally ages 10 and younger.
- Clothing with pictures or language that may be considered profane or offensive by current public standards is not allowed.
What can you bring to a visit?
When checking in for a visit, you will need to provide the officer at the unit security checkpoint the following information:
- Your inmate's name and TDCJ number
- Your relationship to the offender
- Your current physical address and phone number
All adult visitors must have a valid photo ID. Keep everything in your vehicle except your ID and up to $25 cash (in coins) for the vending machines. You may carry the coins in a small wallet, clear plastic bag, or change purse.
Visitors with infants or small children may bring three diapers, baby wipes, and two baby bottles (“sippy” cup for toddlers). These items must be stored in a clear plastic bag.
For a complete list of the visiting rules, click here.
379 FM 2972 West
Rusk, TX 75785-3666
Driving Directions: https://goo.gl/maps/hG2W6ERp5mLDAenYA
General Phone Number
(903) 683-5781 (**034)
Inmate Mailing Address(es)
Inmate Name/DOC Number
379 FM 2972 West
Rusk, TX 75785-3666
eMessagesInmates at Skyview Unit can receive eMessages through JPAY. To register, please contact JPAY at 1-866-333- 5729 or visit www.jpay.com on the web.
How to Call an Inmate
You can't call an inmate at Skyview Unit, but they do have access to phones during certain hours. For complete details on how to call an inmate in Texas, please click here.
How to Send Money
There are a number of ways to send money to an inmate at Skyview Unit, both online and through snail mail. Remember, you will need their inmate ID number.
This site allows you to send money to an inmate or make purchases for them from the prison commissary. To send money, click here and enter the offender's number, name, and confirm offender. Add a deposit amount to your cart and checkout using a credit or debit card.
Friends and family can also make purchases each quarter for eligible offenders. The maximum spend is $60, with the exception of the 4th quarter. From October through December, the holiday spend limit is $85.
You can choose from the top selling commissary items and purchase them for your inmate instead of sending money. Items include snacks, hygiene products, and correspondence supplies.
Visit their website at www.jpay.com or call 1.800.574.5729 to send funds using Visa or MasterCard credit/debit card.
ACCESS CORRECTIONS – SECURE DEPOSITS
1. Visit www.AccessCorrections.com
2. Telephone (toll-free): call 1.866.345.1884 for live bilingual agents available 24/7
MONEY ORDERS or CASHIER’S CHECKS
Must be made payable to “Inmate Trust Fund for Offender Name and Number”
- You may obtain deposit slips by sending a self-addressed, stamped envelope to: Inmate Trust Fund, PO Box 60, Huntsville, TX 77342-0060
- Send deposit and completed deposit slip to Inmate Trust Fund, PO Box 60, Huntsville, TX 77342-0060
Programs For Inmates
Additional Programs/Services: Adult Education Program (upon availability), Chaplaincy Services
Volunteer Initiatives: Substance Abuse Education, Support Groups, Religious/Faith Based Studies and Activities, Family Visitation Center
The Psychiatric Inpatient Program (PIP) consists of four treatment tracks: Psychosis, Mood, Impulse Control and Organic Tracks. These are specified psychotherapeutic programs that liken to a college curriculum utilizing primarily group therapy. Group therapy is recognized to be most effective with offenders.
Pictures of Skyview Unit
Careers at Skyview Unit
If you would like more information about the Texas Department of Criminal Justice and would like to see the job listings at Skyview Unit, click here.