How to Call an Inmate in Maine

Maine Department of Corrections Money Deposit Service

You can’t call an inmate who is housed in a Maine Department of Corrections facility, but the inmates can make outgoing collect calls and prepaid calls during approved hours. You can fund your inmate’s prepaid telephone account by depositing money with a debit or credit card (must have a Visa or Mastercard logo) through the Maine Department of Corrections website. Unfortunately, the site does not accept prepaid debit cards as payment.

If there is an emergency, you can call the facility and talk to the staff who will relay the message after verifying it through law enforcement, a hospital, or a funeral home. Once the emergency is verified, the facility may set up a special phone call for your inmate.

All phone calls are monitored and recorded. If you attempt to use call forwarding or three-way calling, the call will be terminated, and it could result in the inmate losing their phone privileges.

You must use the Maine Department of Corrections Money Deposit Service to add money to your inmate’s prepaid telephone account in both adult and juvenile facilities. You must use a credit or debit card, and the service is provided by a third party who works in partnership with the State of Maine.

You are allowed to make more than one deposit each week, and the maximum amount you are allowed to deposit at one time is $100 into the inmate’s general trust account and $100 into the phone account.

All deposits made are non-refundable. It takes up to three days for the deposited funds to be available to the inmate.

The money you deposit into the general trust account can be used by the inmate to buy items from the commissary, while the funds deposited into their prepaid telephone account can only be used for phone calls and can’t be transferred to the general trust account.

When you use this service, you must have your inmate’s Maine Department of Corrections (MDOC) number and their date of birth to make a deposit. The MDOC number is a unique identification number assigned to an adult prisoner or juvenile resident. If you need to get or confirm a number, you can call 207-287-2711 or contact the Maine Department of Corrections Webdesk.