How to Call an Inmate in Massachusetts
You can’t call an inmate who is incarcerated in the state of Massachusetts. However, they can call you during approved hours if you have a prepaid phone account, a direct bill account, or if the inmate has funds deposited into their phone account.
The inmate phone services vendor for the Massachusetts Department of Correction is Securus. You can set up a prepaid phone account for an inmate or sign up for direct billing through Securus Technologies.
An AdvanceConnect account is a friend & family-owned prepaid calling account that allows you to receive collect calls from inmates and have the charges deducted automatically from your prepaid account.
The Securus prepaid AdvanceConnect account puts you in control of your spending and ensures you can receive calls from correctional facilities.
This account offers you the following benefits:
- The maximum funding amount is up to $50.00 per transaction.
- You are able to receive inmate calls as long as funds are available in your account.
- You can add multiple phone numbers to your account so your loved one can reach your home phone, work phone, cell phone, other relatives, neighbors, friends, etc.
- Calls will connect to cell phones (subject to facility restrictions).
- You have 24/7–365 access to your account on the Securus website or by contacting them via phone.
You can start an account and fund it on the Securus website, or by calling them at 1-800-844-6591.
You can also add funds to an account via Western Union using cash, money order, debit/credit card, or cashier’s check. Payments can easily be made in person or online using Western Union® Quick Collect.
Instructions on Using Quick Collect:
- The Receiver of the Quick Collect payment can be found under Select Other Billers and should be Securus.
- Please follow the online prompts to complete the payment.
- If you are not a registered user at Western Union you will be asked to register.
- Instructions on Using Western Union Payment Form
In the Payment Information section you will be asked for Pay To, Code City, and State:
- Pay To: Securus
- Code City: Securus
- State: Texas
Please include your 6 or 7 digit Account number. If you are unsure of your Account number, please sign in or call them at 1-800-844-6591. To find a Western Union Agent location near you click here.
Inmate Debit is an inmate-owned prepaid calling account used by inmates to pay for their own telephone calls. Friends & family members can deposit funds directly into an Inmate Debit account. This account offers the following benefits:
- You can fund an Inmate Debit account without having your own calling account
- Inmates can call anyone on their approved calling list without requiring friends and family to create separate prepaid accounts
- Calls will connect to cell phones (subject to facility restrictions)
- The maximum funding amount is $50.00 per transaction
- You have 24/7–365 access to fund an inmate’s Debit account on the Securus website or by contacting them via phone
- Funds placed in the Inmate Debit account will become the property of the inmate and friends & family members will not be able to receive refunds on this account.
A Direct Bill account allows you to receive collect calls from inmates and have the charges billed directly to you each month from Securus Correctional Billing Services (SCBS). This account is a good option if the inmate is incarcerated for longer than two years. With verification or approved credit, you can receive an itemized monthly bill statement from SCBS for your calls. This account offers you the following benefits:
- Itemized monthly bill statement of call activity
- You can receive all the calls you need to, up to your credit limit
- You can add multiple phone numbers to your account to ensure you receive all your calls
- Calls will connect to cell phones
- You are able to receive inmate calls as long as your bill is paid in full by the due date
- No minimum payment amount
- You have 24/7–365 access to your account on the Securus website or by contacting them via phone
NOTE: If you have received notice that a Direct Bill account was automatically opened for you, you will need to set up access to manage your account with Securus Online.
The payment options for a direct bill account are exactly the same as funding an AdvanceConnect account: online, by phone, or in-person at Western Union.