How to Call an Inmate in Michigan

The Michigan Department of Corrections’ vendor for prisoner telephone service is Public Communications Services (PCS), Inc. Please be aware that there are telephone service providers who claim to be able to save customers money for inmate calls. One such company even uses the acronym “PCS” (Prison Call Solutions). Some of the websites for these telephone service providers advertise that they can “service all Global Tel*Link Corporation and PCS customers.”

Here is a statement from the Department’s vendor Public Communications Services, regarding these providers:

“There have been reports of vendors contacting inmate family and friends and claiming they can reduce your cost for inmate telephone calls. These vendors are in no way affiliated with the Department of Corrections or the inmate telephone services provider, Public Communications Services, Inc. 

Furthermore, these vendors cannot bind Public Communications Services to any obligation, and may cause you to incur more costs through various subscriptions and commitments. Public Communications Services does not receiveand is not responsible forany payments you make to these vendors, and will not reimburse you for any such payments.”

Public Communications Services

As part of PCS telephone services, prisoners are able to call 20 personal telephone numbers which becomes their Personal Allowed Numbers (PAN) list. PAN’s will automatically reset each quarter, which allows each prisoner an opportunity to update their calling list. Prisoners are allowed to make telephone calls using the following options:

COLLECT: Prisoners can call certain approved numbers and the call charges will appear on the called party’s monthly phone bill. However, note that collect calls cannot be made to cell phones, office phones, or hospital numbers.

PREPAID COLLECT:  PCS’s prepaid collect option is AdvancePay. This option allows friends and family members to set up a calling account to their personal phone number(s). Every time a prisoner calls one of these numbers, the charges will be deducted from the called party’s account. Please visit or call 855-466-2832 to set up an AdvancePay account.

DEBIT: Debit calling puts prisoners in control of their personal phone account. Prisoners are able to purchase debit minutes through the institutional disbursement process, which they can then use to call friends and family members. Prisoners can call many phone numbers, including cell phones, with their debit account.

For any questions regarding these calling options, please call PCS at 855-466-2832.

PCS – Prisoner Telephone Rates

Type of Payment


Calling Area and Per Minute Rate

Local/IntraLata/InterLata/Intrastate   .20

Interstate  .23


Type of Payment


Calling Area and Per Minute Rate

Local/IntraLata/InterLata/Intrastate   .20

Interstate  .21


Type of Payment


Calling Area and Per Minute Rate

Local/IntraLata/InterLata/Intrastate   .18

Interstate  .21

International   .75


Setting Up an Account

To sign up for a Prepaid Calling Account, you can call PCS at 855-466-2832 or you can visit their website at:

(Click link or copy this link and paste it into your browser to access the website)

Here is some additional information regarding the setup and funding of Prepaid Accounts: 

  • PCS charges a $3.95 Credit Card Transaction Fee for each funding transaction.
  • Customers receiving calls from MI DOC prisons may fund up to three prepaid accounts (phone number to be called) with a single transaction and single fee charge when processed through a customer service agent. Please contact PCS at 855-466-2832 if you are interested in funding more than one prepaid account with a single transaction. 
  • There is no minimum deposit for transactions done via the web, IVR, or over the phone.
  • There is no fee to close an account.  

You may also fund an account at no charge via a cashier’s check or money order. There is a $25 minimum payment amount for funding by mail. Payments should be sent to: AdvancePay, PO Box 911722, Denver, CO 80291-1722. 

Please include your name, the name of the correctional facility where the prisoner is incarcerated and your phone number. Note that it may take up to five business days from when PCS receives payment for the funds to be added to the Prepaid Account.

Blocking Prisoner Calls

There are multiple ways to block calls from prisoners as needed.

  • Any incoming call can be refused at any time by either hanging up or pressing “1” when prompted. The call will be disconnected and the prisoner will be informed their call was not accepted.
  • Any incoming call from a correctional facility can be blocked permanently by pressing “6” when prompted. You will be asked to provide a 4 digit personal identification number (PIN) to confirm the block. This PIN will be required to remove the block in the future if needed.
  • You can also call PCS customer service department at 855-466-2832, and they will be able to help block future calls from a prisoner.

If you are receiving unwanted correspondence or telephone calls from a prisoner, you should contact the Warden at the facility where the prisoner is currently being housed. A written correspondence and/or telephone restriction may be placed on the prisoner after a fair and impartial review of your request. 

If you are being threatened by a Michigan prisoner, you should contact the Warden at the facility where the prisoner is currently being housed.  

Removing a Block

You can remove a block on your telephone number by calling PCS customer service department at 855-466-2832.

Please note there are other reasons why your phone number may be blocked from receiving collect calls from correctional facilities. These include: 

  • Your local telephone company does not offer billing on collect calls
  • You have reached the maximum dollar amount limit allowed for collect calls
  • You are trying to receive collect calls on a cell phone or work phone  

Scam and Fraud Protection Notification

Be wary of inmate calls that request you to dial *72 (or any digits) followed by a new ten-digit number. Completing this request can result in the forwarding of your telephone number to a number of the inmate’s choosing, and all calls to your true telephone number can be automatically forwarded to the new number without your knowledge. 

The only way to reverse the forwarding of calls to a new number is to dial *73 (or the digits corresponding to your phone provider).  For Additional Information, visit