How to Call an Inmate in Oregon

You can’t call an adult-in-custody (AIC) at an Oregon facility, but they have access to phones, and they can call you.

Inmates can only connect to numbers that are Telmate Verified. When an inmate calls you for the first time, the system will attempt to verify you. If you are unable to verify automatically, you can verify by filling out a form and sending in a copy of your identification.

Many phone carriers, including all cell phone carriers and VOIP services, do not accept collect calls. If your phone service provider does not allow collect calls, you can still receive calls from Oregon Department of Corrections inmates by depositing funds into their prepaid account, or you can create a prepaid account for your phone number using the Telmate website​ or kiosk.

Another reason you may be having trouble: T-Mobile & Metro PCS Phone Carriers have a solicitor’s block, which does not allow friends and family to accept calls by pressing 1 or star. To remove the block, dial #632#​

You can have your phone number blocked or unblocked by calling Telmate customer service at (866) 516-0115.​

Receiving a Phone Call from an inmate in Oregon

The service provider for adult in custody phone calls at all Oregon Department of Corrections (DOC) facilities is called CenturyLink. The CenturyLink service also enables you to put money on an adult-in-custody’s account through their billing partner, Access Corrections.

There are a few things to know when receiving a phone call from an AIC:

  • When an AIC calls you using the CenturyLink system for the first time, you will be prompted to validate your phone number if you have not already done so through ICSolutions.
  • Once your number is validated, you will not need to enter this information again. 
  • Your phone number must be “validated” to receive phone calls and video visits.
  • You can validate your phone number by setting up a free CenturyLink account through the CenturyLink website or at the registration kiosk in the lobby of the Salem Dome building.
  • The maximum length of a call is 30 minutes.
  • All phone calls are monitored and recorded and may be flagged for review for inappropriate or unauthorized content.

Another way to communicate by phone is to send an adult-in-custody a voicemail through CenturyLink. Once your phone number is validated and funded, you can leave a voicemail message for an AIC. Voicemail messages are only $0.50. To leave a voicemail, you will need to have the 4-digit PIN you created when you set up your online account and the AICs state ID number. 

To leave a voicemail call: 1-877-831-0390.

There are a few different ways to pay for AIC phone calls. You can deposit money for phone calls and messaging through Telmate:

  • Telmate website or app: Visit the Telmate website or download the app to deposit using a credit or debit card (Visa, MasterCard, American Express, and Discover are accepted here).
  • Over the phone: Call Telmate customer service at (866) 516-0115. A Telmate agent will assist you with your deposit.

You can also put money into an inmate’s commissary (trust) account, and they can purchase phone time to call you. Oregon Department of Corrections (DOC) has contracts with the following companies: JPay, CenturyLink (CenturyLink uses the vendor Access Corrections for Trust deposits), and Telmate.

Inmate Telephone Rules

  • All calls must be placed as collect or prepaid. 
  • Inmates shall not participate in three way calls or any form of call forwarding. An inmate may be assessed a service fee from the inmate telephone service provider if it is verified he/she has participated in a three-way call or any form of call forwarding.
  • Inmates shall not place charges to third party numbers, motels, hotels, places of business, credit cards, or to telephone company calling card numbers.

Special Housing: Inmates in special housing may be allowed telephone services as established by the functional unit manager. Special housing includes administrative housing, disciplinary segregation, Intensive Management Unit, Death Row housing, mental health special housing, and facility infirmaries.

Inmates in special housing may have restricted telephone services, and be allowed only emergency calls, legal calls, or other calls as authorized by the functional unit manager or designee.

Inmates in mental health special housing may have limited access to telephones if the access interferes with the inmate’s treatment.

The department may prohibit an inmate from calling a particular person or phone number when requested by the person, or in the case of a minor child, by the child’s parent or legal guardian.